FROM Paperman (short)

❝How lucky we are to be alive right now!❞

25 YEARS
5'5"
heterosexual
single
Lauren

they say times are hard for dreamers
but it's gotten me this far and that is far enough for me.
Mel had done it again. And by ‘it’, she had broken her phone. This happened to her on an almost daily basis, but most of the time this happened at work, so it wasn’t as big of a problem, but today was the weekend and she didn’t have to go in. Mel worked as a secretary at a startup tech company, which was full of bright individuals that knew way more than she did about her phone. Whenever they fixed it, they would inevitably laugh at her lack of expertise, saying that since she was their age, she should not have these issues. Technically, she was born in 1920, so there was no way that she should truly understand electronics, but she couldn’t say that as they would never believe her.

Mel stared at her phone, trying to turn it on. She pushed the home button, frowning when the screen wouldn’t light up like it usually did. She tried pushing the on/off button, the sound buttons, and even the button that turned her phone on mute, all to no avail. She groaned in frustration, annoyed that her phone was as useless as a brick. Technology was just so hard for her to grasp and even having an iPhone was pushing it. She missed the good old days when the latest post-war technology consisted of items like the flashlight and penicillin. Mel slumped down, leaning against a tree, feeling completely hopeless. Why didn’t these things come easily to her?

She looked sadly at her phone, wishing that someone kind would help her out with her phone. Her frustrations with both her inadequacy and phone, caused her to not notice a girl walk up to her. Looking up after a few moments, she saw the girl. “Um, hi. Do you know how to fix my phone?” Mel handed her phone to the girl.

BY MITZI

--------------------
user posted image
thanks Debbie!
PM
^
andrea marin kersey
 Posted: Mar 5 2017, 12:28 PM

andrina
FROM the little mermaid

❝Finally, some entertainment!❞

19 YEARS
5'2"
waterfluid
single
pond

Andrea had been in a lot of insane situations- especially when one considered that she was actually a mermaid. Even in this new world she had gone through plenty of things she honestly didn’t expect, nor did she know what to do with. And technology? Technology happened to be at the very top of the list. It was ridiculous, really. She was young by any standards, technology should have been something she was great with- at least, that was what others claimed. ‘All the other girls her age were great with it’- well guess what? Andi wasn’t. Which was painful when you were someone who often needed to rely on social media to get followers. As a pro surfer, all of that was incredibly important.

At least she had others to help her out.

Andi was most certainly far from careful when it came to her phone as well. Sometimes it took dives with her into the water- and not always with a protective case on. So now she was required to keep it in a baggy with a waterproof case on at all times, which she could handle. She just wasn’t the best at remembering things, especially things that were brand new. Who could blame her? There were a million and a half things to still figure out about this world, and she hadn’t been here long at all. Today she hadn’t been in the water, but she was still walking around outside, her phone shoved in her pocket. Maybe she should have checked it more than she did, but that was another thing that was never on Andi’s mind.

Oh well.

Hands in her pockets, she approached a woman at a bench who seemed quite upset about… Something. Regardless, Andi just wanted to sit down for a few minutes- it felt like she had been walking for hours! ”Fix your phone?” Andi looked confused. Well… She could try? Maybe? ”I… I’m not sure. Did you turn it off and on? Or try too?” Andi took hold of the phone and stared at it. It looked fine- other than the black screen, ”That’s what I normally do. Or maybe it’s dead?”

we are the daughters of triton

melissa emmaline gardner
PM
^
melissa emmaline gardner
 Posted: Mar 17 2017, 05:15 PM

Meg
FROM Paperman (short)

25 YEARS
5'5"
heterosexual
single
Lauren

Mel talked to random strangers probably a little bit too much. Yeah, there were bad people out in this world that would probably prey on someone like her, but there were loads of nice people that she could befriend by somehow managing to strike up a conversation. People back at Haven Hill warned her against being too open with people, so Mel tried to proceed with caution and only talk to people who looked nice and polite. The park was also such a nice place to meet new people since only scary people usually went there in the nighttime. There were sketchier parts of the park, but Mel made sure that she was always in an area in which other people were hanging out.

She didn't usually have any issues with her phone. She could always talk to people at her apartment complex in Haven Hill or coworkers at her job, but she didn't recognize anyone at the park she was at, so that option was out. Mel could always go an Apple Store to have them look at it, but knowing her, it probably wasn't something broken, rather she pushed the wrong button. Hopefully the girl she was talking to could help. "Yes, it won't turn it on for whatever reason." Mel was making the assumption that this girl would know how to fix it and hoped that this gamble would work. "Turn on and off? Like the button on the top and just tapping it or whatever?" She was pretty sure she had tried everything to fix her phone and that turning it on and off wouldn't work. Mel thought hard for a few seconds, as the girl examined her phone. "It shouldn't be dead since I charged it last night?"

BY MITZI

--------------------
user posted image
thanks Debbie!
PM
^
andrea marin kersey
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 12:07 AM

andrina
FROM the little mermaid

19 YEARS
5'2"
waterfluid
single
pond

The baggies and the cases didn’t always keep Andi’s phone safe, but it didn’t bug her. What did she really need it for, other than calling her managers and her family? And texting her friends… But all that could be done from a computer as well, so really, she saw no purpose in it. At least, not one that she understood. There were all sorts of apps the people from the surf company wanted her to use- ones where she could post photos, or updates about what she was doing. Now that was just insane, especially compared to what she had in the sea. Music? Sung live. Updates? Told from person to person. There was absolutely no reason for anything close to what they had here, not in the end. So maybe that was a bit of the reason why it just… Didn’t matter.

Although Alana seemed to love technology quite a lot.

Still, she knew some things. Everyone did, somehow. Besides, when her phone was acting weird in public, it wasn’t like she could call someone to help her. Andi had to rely on herself, and she was pretty good at that, most of the time. With her sisters back in her life she knew that was bound to change, but until then she wasn’t going to change it on her own. Andi was happy with her life, from the surfing to the adventures she got to take. Who wouldn’t be?

This woman seemed kind, even if she was a bit frazzled at the moment. Of course, in this situation, Andi didn’t expect anything else. The woman looked young, yet still seemed hopeless with the phone. Well, Andi thought, at least she wasn’t the only one. Plenty of her peers thought she was weird for not having all the latest things, but those weren’t important. Not nearly as much as everything else. ”Weird.” Andi sat down on the bench as she poked at it more, ”Yeah, to reset it you hold the top button and the big circle one,” she held them down, ”And then hopefully it might do something soon?” not that she had many other options, ”Maybe it’s just being weird.”

melissa emmaline gardner
PM
^
melissa emmaline gardner
 Posted: May 8 2017, 06:25 PM

Meg
FROM Paperman (short)

25 YEARS
5'5"
heterosexual
single
Lauren

Mel didn't really use her phone for much other than emailing, texting her friends, and occasionally taking photos, but she preferred to use her vintage camera from the 1940s that she bought from a thrift store. She used to own one just like it before the Darkness, so being able to find one now was so cool to her. She already knew how to use it too, which was an added bonus. It was insane to think that just seventy years ago, cell phones and personal computers and televisions were not even a thought that crossed most people's minds. Mel never would have guessed how far that technology progressed in such a short time, but then again, she did witness the radio becoming the next big thing when she was a child.

The people she worked with really loved this technology, especially since the company she worked for had something to do with that industry. Mel wasn't entirely sure what they did since it was super foreign to her, but she knew it was important for computers. It was a miracle that she had even figured out how to turn on her laptop that she used at work, though, as despite living in the twenty-first century for almost four years, the culture shock was a real thing that had happened to her. Being able to send a message to someone around the world and them being able to receive in just seconds seemed like witchcraft to Mel. She had lived in a much simpler time, even though World War II had just occurred and racism and sexism were huge issues.

She honestly had no idea why she had gotten herself an iPhone since she obviously knew absolutely nothing about it. She had a home phone and a mailbox, so shouldn't people easily be able to reach her? The answer to that apparently rhetorical question was no sadly. Mel didn't usually have this happen to her phone and she was so glad that this girl had come along so she could ask for help. "Well, I didn't try that." As the girl did that, the phones screened lit up with the apple symbol. "How did that work and what happened to my phone? Like I honestly have no idea how my phone works."

BY MITZI

--------------------
user posted image
thanks Debbie!
PM
^
andrea marin kersey
 Posted: May 16 2017, 01:06 PM

andrina
FROM the little mermaid

19 YEARS
5'2"
waterfluid
single
pond

If someone asked, primarily a fan, Andrea would say she did all her updates on her social media herself. Of course she did, right? Why would someone so young hire someone to do that job for her? It was only those people close to her that knew it wasn't true. That knew she barely updated things. The buttons just didn’t make sense to Andi, for one reason or another. Maybe because she just hadn’t grown up with the technology, or maybe just because it all was that weird. After all, the woman next to her didn’t seem to understand it either, and she seemed young! Maybe not as young as Andi, but definitely not some old lady who would have no idea what a phone even was. There was a far off difference- she wasn’t even close to hitting that point. So what was all this?

Sometimes Andi wished for this technology in her own world, of course. The most useful thing her phone did, other than take pictures, was play music for her. And there was just so much music! Dance music, happy music, sad music… The list went on and on and on. How did people create so much? Part of the mermaid wished she could go out and join them, but she had already put her career in motion. Surfing was incredible, after all, so could anyone truly blame her? And she could sing without having to be in a band, honestly. Sometimes she liked to sit around and sing to her music in her room, which was apparently common among teens in this world?

Maybe she was meant to live on land.

It was a bit silly of course- Ariel had always dreamed of this, and now it was true for at least one of them. Were any of her other sisters around? She just had to hope they’d pop up sooner or later. ”Wow! It worked?” Andi was shocked. She honestly hadn’t expected it- after a,,l it was the only trick she knew. The rest of how to fix a phone was far too confusing, and a job for the professionals. ”I’m not sure why it works, but that’s what I was told to do. If you have any issues, you just hit those buttons and hope it works!” because honestly, that was all she understood. The inner workings of why that precisely helped were completely foreign to the mermaid, ”It’s kinda cool.” she passed the phone back, ”I’m glad it worked!”

melissa emmaline gardner
PM
^
melissa emmaline gardner
 Posted: Jun 12 2017, 12:07 AM

Meg
FROM Paperman (short)

25 YEARS
5'5"
heterosexual
single
Lauren

Mel honestly wished that she had the time and the effort to try to learn how social media and other things like that worked. The one she was most interested in was called Instantgram, or at least that's what she thought it was named. You could share your pictures instantly, thus the name, and keep in touch with faraway friends! Mel would definitely download the app and consistently use it, if she could actually figure out how to do that. At least she knew had to use email and text people on her phone, since both of those were the easiest ways to communicate with people in today's times. She still preferred calling people since you could actually hear them and it was something that existed in her time. Caller ID was also amazing so she would actually know who was trying to talk to you and not be unsure of who was trying to get a hold of you before answering the phone.

Despite most of the technology from her time becoming obsolete or being improved upon, Mel stilled missed the simplicity of the early twentieth century. Life was so much simpler then, despite the financial ruin and wars she had experienced, and she would give just about anything to go back. Everything was so complicated now and technologically-based. Things were supposed to be easier now, but it just seemed more difficult underneath the layers of supposed simplicity. She did like the civil rights movements that had occurred, since there was so many underlying issues, especially in a big city. Those were much needed, in her opinion, even though those that were from her time that were still alive thought contrary to that.

Mel always did wonder what life would be like in the twenty-first century, but never imagined that she would live that long. Now she was here and it was nothing like she had expected it to be. She had guessed teleportation existed now, but maybe Uber was the closest thing to that now? Or maybe those idiotic hoverboards? "Yeah it did! I have no idea what that just did, but it fixed my phone!" she was amazed at the simplicity of the solution to her apparently impossible problem. "Awesome. I'll keep that in mind for future reference." Mel's smile widened as her lock screen popped up, a picture of New York City in the 1940s. "Thank you so much!"

andrea marin kersey / outfit
Sorry if it's poop
BY MITZI

--------------------
user posted image
thanks Debbie!
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

static affiliates: now accepting