Posted on: Nov 17 2015, 12:16 PM
Maid Marian
❝ ...BUT HE CARVED OUR INITIALS ON THIS TREE. I REMEMBER IT SO WELL. ❞
Robin Hood
5'7''
hetero
single

loor

How did normal people make friends, anyway? The small and unsure group of individuals she thought might care if she fell down a flight of stairs came from all over: a music shop, a dog walker, and... a waitress. So far, they were all merely random encounters that had resulted in something slowly creeping its way towards friendship. At least, she dearly hoped so. But the ceaseless doubts that grappled at the base of her skull insisted that she wasn't normal, that these relationships she was trying dearly to cultivate were also weird. What if she was coming off as a stalker? Or a customer who was crossing a line? There was little factual evidence to support her paranoid fears. No one had treated her like a freak thus far. If she was able, the young woman ought to seriously cut herself a break. She'd no memory of any friendship before her life was restarted in San Francisco. But she desperately wanted to fit in with the crowd.

A lot of it was intuitive; observing the swarm of people and picking out behaviors, fashion, tones of inflection and communication habits. At the beginning, before she had a job, Marianne must have been a spectacle. She spent hours in parks, long red hair flying around her face all knotted as she took notes. No one would ever know about the file basket in the back of her closet, full of notebooks cataloguing the thoughts of a recovering invalid. Scrawled half-sentences about things to say, how to walk or make your face look when seeing someone familiar. No one would ever know the embarrassing, painful details of her transition into social life. How it had taken her months to hold a regular conversation, how social cues weren't always verbal, how her failings often resulted in volatile breakdowns. Deep down in her soul, Marianne felt the nurses at the center who had supported her were angels. They'd helped her through the good days and the bad, had dealt with her outbursts and howling with the seasoned expertise of one who's seen it all. Her own shame kept her away. Once in a blue moon, she sent flowers to the staff and wrote them holiday cards. A deep fear kept her from showing her face. She'd been a horror. It was easier to move forward, unattached.

Today was all about the next wobbly step on her path to normalcy. Building friendships. Tahlia was one of the first people she'd met who had inspired confidence deep down in her heart. Before Marianne had chanced upon her beaming, bubbly smile, she'd all but given up on the chance to build herself into a support system. As far as she knew, no one had been around to help her recover when she'd awoken in the hospital. Believing herself to be a friendless girl, it was simple logic to assume she was solo for a reason. The talented young woman had assumed she was not a good companion, or maybe she wasn't meant to be part of a larger group. Accepting that hadn't been a rational dilemma. What she hadn't anticipated was the aching sting of loneliness that never quite abated. In truth, it had only grown with time, tricking her mind into social behaviors. The fibers of her human being craved attention, love, and connection. The intense way she guarded her secrets felt much at odds with this desire, and so she'd ignored it, preoccupied herself with work as she naturally tended to do. Until she'd spoken with Tahlia the third or fourth time, she hadn't considered breaking this unwritten rule of hers.

The odd nature of their acquaintanceship was not lost on the redhead as she crossed the streets and stepped through the brick threshold of the Ghiradelli Chocolate original factory. The courtyard was adorable, beautifully maintained brick walls rising high to a second level. Sighing as she inhaled the sweet tinge of chocolate bitterness, Marianne followed the brightly-lit sign for the main restaurant area and gift shop. Pulling open the door, a bell tinkled her arrival and a wave of melted sugar wafted into her nose to welcome her. It was a perfect distraction from her own pre-date anxiety. Walking into the seating area, an attentive worker explained she could wave down a waitress to order whenever she was ready. Large laminated menus adorned with airbrushed, melty treats served as large flags at every table, propped on chrome card holders. The large, old-timey watch over the door indicated it was only 1:25pm, five minutes before their arranged meeting time. Inhaling and exhaling as a means to look less rigid, Marianne picked a cozy booth near the back of the room with a perfect view of the ice cream counter. Glancing at a menu, she plucked it from the holder and started examining the multitude of options. I hope this goes well. Her mind continued to itch with concern, yet her determination pushed fake tranquility into her posture. Regardless of the friend-date's outcome, Marianne was taking a chance. She had to give herself credit for that, at least.

i want that red velvet

--------------------
user posted image
^
tahlia lise berry
 Posted on: Mar 27 2016, 07:31 PM
thumbelina
❝ love, can you hear me? if you're near me, sing your song - sure and strong, and soon ❞
THUMBELINA
5'
STRAIGHT
ENAMORED

amanda

i want that sugar sweet

It was a rare day off for Tahlia Berry. Most often she felt as if she spent more waking hours at work than anywhere else. This was, or course, mostly true; she worked five, maybe six days a week. And work generally went quickly when she had hardly any time to sit and rest before her next table was seated. Days flew by with little but sore feet to show for it. Tahlia volunteered for as many shifts as she could manage; more hours meant more tables and, ideally, more tips. Little by little, she'd be able to save up for a tiny place of her own. It was a goal she was closer to achieving every day, but it wasn't getting any easier.

She hardly had time to enjoy herself outside of work - her schedule left little time for hobbies, friends, boyfriends... Tahlia was less concerned with spending her time birdwatching or pressing flowers - people were harder to juggle. She'd made a precious little collection of friends that were very dear to her. The waitress had found they'd become her hobby: she had to spend time with each, nurturing her relationships like she would a little garden. Some were already happy and healthy blooms: Molly, for one, and Terence as well. On the other hand, some here just beginning to bud - Marianne for instance.

Tahlia would have to take extra care in encouraging this tiny bud of a friendship to blossom. She'd have to plant the right seeds: compassion, trust, and warmth. She must water it with good intention and feed it with kindness, and it would all come together in time. Of course, this work did not have to be hard work. Sometimes all she needed was a lunch-and-desert date with one particular little bloom. Marianne had gone through the trouble of picking the time and place - all Tahlia had to do was show up on time. And, as she checked the time while stepping onto the Ghiradelli property, it seemed she had two minutes to spare. Stepping quickly through the courtyard and into the restaurant, the pleasant smile on Tahlia's face grew into a wide grin. It didn't take long for her to spot her fellow redhead, sitting pretty and poised in a booth in the corner.

"Hellooo there," she sang, settling into the seat across from Marianne. "Hope I didn't keep you waiting too long," she said. These niceties came naturally to her, the undeniable habit of someone who served for a living. Tahlia knew she couldn't have been more than a minute or two late, but all the same, she didn't want to waste her friend's time. And the less time she spent apologizing, the more time she'd have to look over the deserts. It should have been lunch time, but one did not come to Ghiradelli Square and skip right over the chocolate. "So excited to try everything they've got," Tahlia continued, eagerly leaning in to read the glossy menu. She raised her eyebrows in Marianne's direction. "See anything you like?"

tag: mari!
words: 507

note: so late :|

--------------------
user posted image
^
marianne lily devoss
 Posted on: Aug 31 2016, 07:52 PM
Maid Marian
Robin Hood
5'7''
hetero
single

loor

The glossy laminate of the menu reflected the restaurant's artificial lighting as the girl angled it in her palms. The bright sauces and toppings momentarily daunted her. When did she go out to eat ever, really? Marianne preferred to cook for herself; it was cheaper and demanded less social interaction. Besides, crowded social venues served her poorly. The jovial groups laughing and catching up were like painted portraits of immense, unreachable wealth. Flying solo was status quo for her. It didn't mean she particularly enjoyed it. Ergo; restaurants had a link somewhere in her synapses to an anxiety response. She found her finger flicking the sharp plastic of the menu's corner, sending ripples through the elegant type. Oh, come now... She chided her flighty movements, willing her grip into a less disruptive position.

Overwhelmed with the need to burn off excess energy, her ankles started bobbing in place. If it isn't one thing, it's another. She almost laughed at herself, her distant half-smile twitching. An antique brass bell above the threshold clinked its customary alarm as Tahlia strolled through the door. The tension between Marianne's eyebrows tangibly dissipated. She nearly stood up as her acquaintance reached their cozy red booth, but clenched herself still to contain any overzealous excitement. "Oh no, of course not!" The harpist insisted, her face all an eager smile. "I only just touched the menu," she admitted. Her imaginative mind had run away with the beautiful pictures. Mari hadn't read any actual words.

A reflexive pause stoppered her throat momentarily. Her electric stare faded into gentle affection. "It's so lovely to see you, Tahlia." She resisted the urge to thank her.It's odd to thank someone for merely their interest. You're worthy of their time. Feeling the creeping of a blush, Mari abruptly turned her full attention to the dessert descriptions. So many of them were gigantic! Surely she couldn't manage a banana split on her own. A hum of intrigue passed through her lips. She slid the big menu towards her partner in crime.

"'Muir Woods'," she read aloud. "'Black cherry vanilla ice cream smothered with our handmade hot fudge and topped with whipped cream, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and a cherry'."

She lifted her neck, entertained and delighted. "I think I want the dark chocolate fudge." A giggle filtered through her words. "But what about you? There are so many choices!" It was true. Marianne had selected one of the first options she saw, not willing to let herself get caught in an endless mental tug-of-war over 'The Perfect Sundae'. Besides, black cherry was one of her favorites. It was meant to be. A cartoony waiter was giving them a pursed smile and heading over to take their order. Marianne released the menu and sat in quiet, content to share the company of an ice cream date with her fun friend. The rendezvous was a fabulous opportunity to learn more about the busy waitress, and she couldn't wait to sample some sugary goodness along the way.

i want that red velvet

--------------------
user posted image
^
tahlia lise berry
 Posted on: May 8 2017, 03:06 PM
thumbelina
❝ love, can you hear me? if you're near me, sing your song - sure and strong, and soon ❞
THUMBELINA
5'
STRAIGHT
ENAMORED

amanda

i want that sugar sweet

It was important to slow down and make time for things you enjoyed, and for people you enjoyed as well. As Tahlia settled further into her seat across from Marianne, she felt this to be true. The pair had first met at the bistro on a consistent string of beautiful Sunday mornings. Between her coffee and breakfast orders, the waitress had accrued a bit of information on the young woman before her. She was a harpist, she enjoyed walks in the park, and she loved to read... Tahlia always found something in common with those she gravitated toward, and with Mari, it was that romantic spirit, and a bit of lingering naivety even after years of living in a big city. That, and the two of them loved sweets.

Their rather tender hearts had made them connect easily at the start, passing acquaintances until they got to know one another a little better. As the seasons changed, so had Marianne's Sunday morning schedule. When the early hours got a little too chilly to enjoy the outdoor seating of the bistro, they adjusted. Finally they had exchanged numbers; suddenly Tahlia had to separate her attention between work and her friend when she was no longer just a customer. It had been a little strange, but not completely unheard of, to befriend a former patron. The tiny redhead was a smiling face with all the regulars she came to recognize, but few had made that leap toward friendship.

They'd even gone so far to arrange this little date of theirs, it was fair to say Marianne was close to bridging that gap. She was beautiful and kind and made Tahlia's eyes grow wide when she smiled. "Good," she said, grinning, once she knew she hadn't been too late. She took a few glances at the menu, entirely captivated by the chocolatey goodness that graced each page. They served a few standard deserts at her bistro, but nothing like these masterful confections. Her words wandered as her eyes scanned the shiny photos. "I've lived here five years now and I've never been here before," she said, glancing back up at Marianne. "I mean - I'm glad we decided to come," she clarified with a smile.

"Ohhh," she cooed like a little bird at the thought of Mari's black cherry ice cream and dark chocolate fudge. "If you get that, can I try a bite?" It sounded absolutely irresistible. Though the flowerchild had planned to eat something substantial, the mere suggestion of a sundae was overpowering. With a shrug of her willpower, she conceded to have ice cream for lunch. Perhaps Marianne would share something with her as well - there was a certain brownie sundae that captured her attention, but it all looked too good to be true. "Look at this 'Treasure Island,'" she said in awe, pointing to the picture on her menu as she held it up to her friend. "Warm brownie sundae with whipped cream and nuts."

If she looked at everything in depth, surely she'd be overwhelmed with options; her eyes flit to a couple other dishes before coming back to her first choice. Before she floundered for too long, the nearing waiter caught her eye. While she knew she could ask for a few more minutes, it might be best to just go for it. Whether Mari was decided or not, now that was the question. "I think if I look any longer, I'll ask for one of everything." Just before the waiter was within earshot, Tahlia asked that classic line, "Are you ready to order?"

tag: mari
words: 596

note: wrote this at work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--------------------
user posted image
^
marianne lily devoss
 Posted on: Sep 8 2017, 11:33 AM
Maid Marian
Robin Hood
5'7''
hetero
single

loor

unbidden, a litany of memories trickled through marianne's mind. she remembered the first time tahlia had waited on her, all smiles and tranquility. the ease with which her fellow redhead existed in the world awed the harpist. she was constantly fraught with anxieties and insecurities, frequently dreading socialization. her insecurities ruled her social life; the woman recalled how many individuals had subtly pulled away from her when she initially came to the city. she didn't know her past nor how to connect with the world at large. for months, basic conversation left her tongue-tied and struggling. the handicap made marianne sense a brokenness in herself, as if the accident that landed her in the hospital wiped her brain clean of communal intelligence. after several years she had gained a substantial amount of tact, yet the fear had never left her. the threat of abandonment (the only reality the poor girl had truly known) loomed heavy and constant in her day-to-day. it felt like a shadow over her shoulder, watching and waiting for her to mess up.

in spite of her weakness, marianne's sense of security was stronger in tahlia's presence. mari had, at times, immersed the server in one of her strange rants about literature or music structure. sometimes it was just word vomit. though she was terribly busy with professional obligations, she was practically starved for genuine connection. like a vicious cycle, mari's quirks appeared in full force once she trusted another. yet tahlia had not been deterred. she'd politely listened as marianne spewed passion and disdain for her topic of the day. the musician hadn't been able to discern whether the waitress listened out of obligation or kindness, but she'd agreed to meet her outside of work. the fact that she'd accepted the invitation gave the girl a glimmer of hope. "it's my first visit as well," she chirped in reply. "though i am certainly not unfamiliar with ghiradelli," she giggled. mari had bought the chocolate many times as an indulgence while grocery shopping. they created the most ingenious combinations of berries, nuts, and flavors, all swirled in rich cocoa goodness.

placing her menu on the table in order to force herself into stillness, marianne beamed at tahlia's proposal. "why, of course! ice cream is meant to be shared, after all." she craned her neck to gaze at the portrait of the brownie sundae tahlia was pointing out. her blue squint widened in pleasure. "how indulgent! i simply love it," she affirmed with a hum of appreciation. her lips bubbled with giggles as tahlia joked about ordering the entire menu. her laughter turned to a small smile as the off-duty waitress asked if mari was prepared. "oh yes," she said just as the bowtie-clad waiter appeared at their table. "i would like the muir woods, with dark chocolate fudge instead, please," she said politely. "and a glass of water." marianne kept her twitchy fingers in her lap, silent and patient as the waiter took tahlia's order, collected their menus, and darted off to put in the ticket. "tell me, how's work going? and your boyfriend?" she smirked playfully at the second question. mari knew next to nothing about her acquaintance's significant other, but she was such a die-hard (and lonesome) romantic that she adored to hear cute stories from smitten others. every anecdote kept her faith steadfast; contrary to contemporary opinion, marianne believed stolidly that romance was not dead.

i want that red velvet

tahlia lise berry

--------------------
user posted image
^
tahlia lise berry
 Posted on: Oct 12 2017, 11:22 PM
thumbelina
THUMBELINA
5'
STRAIGHT
ENAMORED

amanda

i want that sugar sweet

Tahlia was the picture of courtesy when she was on the receiving end of service. She likely would have been kind to the man either way, but her own experience serving made her into an absolutely angelic patron. The girl fancied herself his kindred spirit of sorts, though he probably had to deal far more tourists than she. Though Tahlia was usually kindhearted, even her patience could be tested by the demands of some particularly expectant visitors. Of course locals themselves could be just as difficult, and it was pure chance what kind of customer would be seated in Tahlia's section. Each and every shift had all the opportunity to be swift and painless or tedious and tiresome.

This made her time off even more precious: her time to relax was limited, her opportunities to enjoy herself few. So she was quick to settle in and let her worries about work wash away. There were more important things to concentrate on at the moment (namely, which ice cream dish she'd like most to try). Once that question was answered, Marianne could have her full attention - something neither of them had had the chance to give before. While working herself, Tahlia had to divide her time between her favorite patrons and the rest; what a change of pace it was to be able to focus on Mari - and Mari alone.

The thought made her smile, as did the promise of a sampling of the other young woman's ice cream. "Oh good," she said, with the relief of hearing the answer she expected and hoped for. That was one of many questions the flower child would have today, now that she had more than three-minute intervals to speak to her. No doubt they had plenty to share, diving deeper into one another's personal lives, and learning about the other. She was filled with wonder for all the things she'd yet to learn: what it was like to be part of an orchestra, what Mari did in her free time, and what other sorts of people she spent said free time with?

Bright blue eyes wandering back to the waiter after Marianne's order, Tahlia beamed up at him. "A water for me too, please," she requested. "And the Treasure Island sundae, with caramel on top," she added - if she was going to have her mountain of brownie and ice cream, she might as well top it off with extra sugar. Admittedly, she'd pondered a milkshake too, but if there was such a thing as too much sugar, that would be it. With a satisfied little giggle (even without the extra shake), she handed over the menu to the man waiting on them. She'd barely gotten in a Thank you," before he was on his way in that familiar brisk pace back to the kitchen.

With their order well on its way, Tahlia intended to release all the questions she'd been harboring, but she was quickly beaten to the punch. It was Mari's own curiosity that filled the silence between them; Tahlia had opened her mouth to speak and let out a little laugh instead. "Things are going well," she said, the giggle lifting her tone to an extra degree of lightheartedness. "I feel like work is going smoothly on the whole - but you always have to take it day by day." With the tiniest of sighs, she relaxed a little into her seat.

"Terence is great," she continued, a mad blush coloring her cheeks. She oughtn't be so bashful when it came to him, but the butterflies still got her when she least expected them. She'd told her new friend a little about her beau here and there - it was plain on her face that she was pleased by the opportunity to talk about him once again. "Sometimes I think it's too good to be true, really," she admitted. The time she'd spent with Terence thus far was beyond what she might have expected from someone who had been her friend for over a year before they became something more. "Like when he surprises me - with dinner after work or a quick visit at the bistro to say hello - and I see how absolutely thoughtful and wonderful he is." In an awfully girlish gesture, her hands found her mouth, suppressing the wide grin that had bloomed there. In a breath or two, she'd settle back down (for the most part).

Finally, after a brief pause, the redhead couldn't wait to weasel in an inquiry of her own. "How about you? Have you met anyone since we last spoke?" Her tone was earnest, her expression eager, wanting to hear Marianne's response. With any luck, Tahlia wouldn't be alone in gushing over a handsome young man.

tag: mari
words: 791

note: for her relationship status i'm going with some point earlier in their timeline before shit hits the fan???

--------------------
user posted image
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
newtopic
newpoll